Village´s history spans back to early Middle Ages, when local land was in the possession of the Akos family (the Bebek family, respectively). The life of the small village had been intertwined with the Krásna Hôrka castle, its history, and the history of its owners. More than 200 years of the "reign" of the Bebeks had passed before the Andrássys took hold of the castle in 1578. The village, having lived in the shadow of the medieval castle, was barely mentioned in contemporary documents. One, dating back to 1427, recorded the homesteads of the village, reporting 67. After the Battle of Mohac, where Hungarian armies had been defeated by Turks, hard times fell on the region of Gemer as well. The village was burnt down by the Turks in 1569 and 1570. In 1642, the Andrássys became its hereditary owners and it was declared a field town - mezeó város - in 1757.
Peace and turmoil in village´s history came and went in close connection with what went on at the castle. The coexistence of the castle and the village had always been relatively smooth. The Andrássys even supported their subjects significantly, particularly in the 19th century.